Just before the first case was reported in India on 28th Jan 2020, a popular tamil TV Channel wanted me to participate in a talk show in their prime time slot to discuss about the preparedness of Tamil Nadu Govt. if there is a outbreak here. By then there was some understanding of the type of virus and its earlier outbreaks. So went through various scientific articles and looked at various herbs with potential for fighting corona virus. Immediately after the first case of a medical student testing positive (she arrived earlier but results was known on 30th Jan 2020), we in CTMR discussed among ourselves and released a video clip on how to prevent spread and also the possible Siddha medicines and external therapies that could prevent the virus entry and multiplication in human cells. Then we focused on creating awareness among our patients and other organizations for which we have been providing health care support. (Experience in prevention is the previous blog).
- 1. The health authorities of the area should be informed of the status and that of the treating physician’s details and share prescription and instructions note with them.
- 2. All patients should strictly adhere to the prescription of medicine, diet (Non oily, non fat , non spicy food . intake of good quantity of boiled vegetables and fruits)and quarantine in a separate room with attached bathroom facility for 14 days
- 3. All patients should record their oxygen saturation, pulse rate temperature every four hours and send whatsApp message and inform of other clinical features.
- 4. Patients should have their BP and CBS recorded if diabetic and inform at regular interval (With digital apparatus and Glucometer)
- 5. Patients were also instructed to locate and identify a neighbourhood hospital just in case of oxy saturation fall below 85 or develop severe respiratory distress ( Fortunately none required it)
- 6. All patients who have co-morbidity were instructed not to stop their routine medication
The treatment included the following
2. 2. Adathodai kudineer ( 5 gram) twice a day if cough, sore throat is present for five days
3. 3Thalisathy vadagam ( 500 mg tab)thrice a day as chewable tab for controlling cough and sore throat
4. 4 if Ground glass change is seen and Oxygen saturation going below 95 to lower level of 85 Adathoda kudineer , Thalisathy vadagam and Thippili Rasayanam ( 5 gram) 15 days.
5. 5 Milk with turmeric, black pepper and palm candy once a day
6. 6. Steam inhalation – plain steam or with Vitex negundo leaf- twice a day
7. 7. Salt water gargling- twice a day
All medicines used are formulations listed in the Formulary of Siddha Medicine of Govt. of India based on classical texts.
(The much promoted drug during the season was not choosen as most manufacturers expressed difficulty in sourcing authentic raw material and the formulation was never prepared and dispenses officially in the oldest Govt Siddha Medical college hospital since its formation, many adverse reactions were reported by people)
The outcome of the treatment among 250 patients was positive with most people recovering from symptoms in third to fifth day while few with comorbidity continued to have fatigue and cough for 15 days. Nobody required further hospitalization.
Repeat tests were carried out for people who had symptoms for more than five days (32) at the end of 14 days and all of them tested negative. CT Scan for 16 who had changes initially showed significant progress (came down to 5/40 or 3/25 as two different scales are used by different labs)
We have also remotely treated patients in other countries and other towns in certain changes depending of availability of medicine (Thirikadu Dry ginger, black pepper and long pepper and licorice Ajwain turmeric were the primary ones until medicines reached them) There too results were encouraging
The treatment in home quarantine had many benefits – less crowding, good care and timely food and monitoring by family members, psychological strength and less cost ( Rs 500 for medicine for the patient and protective dose for the care giver ,cost of pulse oxymeter, bp apparatus, thermometer and glucometer). Many could start working from their rooms after initial five days and were engaged.
The patients in the initial stages did feel the social stigma of ambulance arriving and taking them to hospital, family members and friends not able to interact and this arrangement gave them a great sigh of relief.
The objective is only to say that not all patients require oxygen support and hospitalization but needs to be closely monitored. I am sure the patients who took treatment from us would also read this blog and as also critics who still feel Siddha or Ayurveda treatment were provided just to give a placebo effect.
Note on Medicines
Nilavembu kudineer churanam comes as a coarse powder to be made into a decoction This Siddha formulation fulfills the requirement contains the following ingredients – Andrographis paniculata (herb), Vetiveria zizanioides (roots), Cymbopogon jwarancusa (roots), Santalum album (heart wood), Trichosanthes cucumerina (herb) Cyperus rotundus (tuber) Zingiber officinale (rhizome), Piper nigrum (fruit), and Mollugo cerviana(whole plant). Antiviral plants in the formulation are Andrographis paniculata, Santalum album and Trichosanthes cucumerina. Antipyretic plants in the formulation are Vetiveria zizanioides, Cymbopogon jwarancusa, Andrographis paniculata, Santalum albumand Trichosanthes cucumerina. Immunomodulant plants are Zingiber officinale, Piper nigrum. Analgesic ingredients are – Andrographis paniculata, Zingiber officinale and Cyperus rotundus. Antibacterials are Vetiveria zizanioides, Cymbopogon jwarancusa, Santalum album and Trichosanthes cucumerina.
Dose: 2 gram of the powder boiled with 60 ml like tea – With a lid to prevent evaporation of essential oils, filtered and taken. The decoction is freshly prepared every time and taken twice a day preferably after food as for diabetes taking in empty stomach can rarely cause hypoglycemia and for people with gastric irritation can cause nausea or vomiting
Adathodai kudineer churanam comes as a coarse comes as a coarse powder to be made into a decoction It contains Justicia adathoda (malabar nut) leaf Glycyrrizha glabra (licorice) Piper longum ( Long pepper) Taxus baccata ( Himalayan yew) . Glycyrrizha glabra has anti-viral action against corona virus and soothing to the throat. Adathoda is effective in preventinf constriction of the respiratory pathway. Long pepper is anti-viral, hepatoprotective and helps in respiratory diseases as well. Taxus baccata is useful in regulating IL6 and TNF-alpha.
Now with almost all Siddha Covid Care Centres closed. People who want to take Siddha treatment really do not know where to go. that is yet another reason why this post was written. Other purpose for posting at this point of time is we were waiting to observe the patients for three months for post covid complication if any. Atleast 100 plus patients have completed 3 months post quarantine now.